Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer Reading List

So, I just want to start this off with a fun fact for those who don't already know: I'm staying in Providence for the summer! I'm sorry to all those who I didn't tell. I do in fact care about you (whoever you are), but I got some really awesome opportunities to stay down here, and I'm really excited for what God has for me here.


Now, to "touch" on the topic of this blog. For a little bit of background, I am a terrible reader. However, for some reason I've been accumulating some really awesome books that I've been trying to read but haven't gotten a chance.
To top it off, I went to a conference called Together for the Gospel, and at this conference I accumulated over 20 new books! Also, JWU Christian Student Fellowship has some free books in the office, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me have any of them unless I finished the scads of books they know I already have but haven't read.

Anyway, I feel like I need to get to these quick fast and in a hurry. This summer I'm going to put my nose to the grindstone and do nothing but read (except something for Elizabeth Rhyno, because she's awesome... oh, and if I'm forgetting about something that's clearly overdue that I need to put after Mrs. Rhyno's project be sure to comment or else I will forget forever).

I was talking to my pastor about that, and he thought it would be a good idea to alternate categories of books, instead of reading a series of books on Christian living in a row, or a series of theology books in a row. While for different people the categories may differ, these were how he said I could group mine:
  • Christian Living - anything that basically doesn't fit into the other categories. A book that exhorts or helps with some aspect of Christian life (necessary definition).
  • Theology - a book that focuses on one aspect of Biblical doctrine, like soteriology (study of salvation) or missiology (study of missions).
  • Church History and Biography - important because it gives us a glimpse at whether the early church fathers agreed with us, keeps us from falling prey to heretical ideas (which history shows are cyclical).
  • Ecclesiology (study of the church) - while this might fit under theology, it is an aspect of theology that is easily neglected today, so it's worth giving its own category.
  • Fiction - important because being well-rounded is a must, and knowing what society is engaging in is also important.
  • [Preaching; Culture & World View] - two categories which are important for some, but I probably won't be including in every cycle.
So, the following books will be my first "cycle:"
  • Humility - C.J. Mahaney (Christian Living)
  • It is Well - Mark Dever & Michael Lawrence (Theology - Substitutionary Atonement)
  • Unquenchable Flame - Michael Reeves (Church History)
  • The Trellis and the Vine - Colin Marshall & Tony Payne (Ecclesiology)
  • Disappearance of God - Albert Mohler (Culture & World View)
  • Scarlet - Stephen Lawhead (Fiction)
Now, if anyone wants to read these with me, that'd be awesome! However, I'm going to try to make it so those who are reading can gain from me reading these books. I'm going to give a relatively informal review (mostly because I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified to review books on theology and such), but also an outline of the book and points made. This way I won't be saying whether a book is good or bad, but rather just presenting what the book says.

Anyway, life in Providence is good for those who are wondering. God continues to bless me in ways that I could never have imagined. Those who are praying for me from home, I appreciate it immensely, and the results are definitely apparent!

That's it.

Jake

7 comments:

  1. I already read Scarlet, and you're supposed to be making a website promoting me all the time. Thanks bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake! Oooh, a blog! like the big white "buob" matching your portfolio site ;) nice touch!

    Which book are you reading this minute? I have to finish the new Donald Miller book I just bought first but that should only take a few days. I have long train rides to read on here in Chicago, but I'll only follow your blog if you'll promise to be argumentative sometimes! :P

    What exactly are you doing in Providence this summer? -besides reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well... I'm reading "It is Well" by Mark Dever and Michael Lawrence. They are meditations on substitutionary atonement. New Donald Miller book? Oh, is that his "Shamelessly Emergent" I keep on hearing about? :P Just kidding. No, I've heard about his new book.

    Define "argumentative." If you read either of the two blogs I've already published I've disagreed with some of what they are saying. Is that good enough? :P

    I am working for a web firm here in Providence. And reading. Are you ever going to be home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jake. Good idea. I would love to read Unquenchable Flame with you this summer if you would like. When will you be starting this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "substitutionary atonement"?

    um, the book is called A Million Miles in a Thousand Years- bad title. i don't think i get your joke :S

    no i'm never going to be home, i heard you weren't either but my mom said you're taking keely's hours at the art center this week and that would be a rather long commute from providence.

    you seem very informative here, like it's a record of what you're reading as notes for yourself, so maybe you don't want to spark a lot of discussion on it, and you know i'm just prowling for some philosophy to talk about :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Travis, sorry I took so long to reply, but I'll probably be starting the Unquenchable Flame in a week or two. Hopefully. Right now I'm reading It is Well, but holy moly, it is a tough book to just sit down and read. I'll probably start reading like a chapter of that a day and start reading other books at the same time.

    Skye, by substitutionary atonement I mean the fact that Christ was our substitute on the cross, and through the substitution of Christ for our punishment we are atoned for our sins. Why is "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" a bad title? Seems artsy... is that why you're reading it? ;) The joke I made wasn't really that funny, I was just referencing the fact that Donald Miller has slowly become a big part of the emergent church, which has kind of removed Christ from the church.

    Yeah, I came up for about a week so I could go to prom with Madelyn, but I ended up staying for a couple weeks and your mom asked if I could fill in for Keely.

    Regarding the whole informative thing, have you read either of the ones there? At the end I have a response/discussion. We can't really have a discussion on a book unless we go over the book, now can we? =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read everything! In fact, you are my very first bookmark! But don't get too excited, I didn't plan it, it just sorta turned out that way. :P

    Calm down on the evangelical buzzwords! I'm not exactly up on the trends. Who counts as the "emergent church" we are turning our noses up at?

    It's mostly bad because it's long, and yes, it is a bit too artsy. And he's run out of things to say. I changed my mind after reading it, I'm reading classics this summer instead. I can't stand popular christian literature, the philosophy is terrible.

    ReplyDelete